Today was BYOBW 2009: Bring Your Own Big Wheel race down Vermont St. on Potrero Hill in San Francisco.
In a high-tech world, it's nice to get back to basics and have some good plain fun.
Here's a video of the first run of the race.
I'll upload some more videos in the next day or two.
Here are some notable outfits:
- Running of the Bulls: these guys actually ran, not rode
- Knights in shining underwear: a couple of guys wearing plate armor and chain mail on the upper half of their body, and nothing but underwear and knee pad on the lower half. One of them rode down on a tiny Razor kick scooter.
- Mexican wrestling masks
- Camouflage, paintball style
- Easter bunny suit and plenty of bunny ears
- Guy Fawkes mask, a la V For Vendetta
- BMX helmet and pads (smartest one if you ask me)
- Iron Man
- Elmo (Sesame Street)
- Elvis (I think?)
- Nun (in drag)
- Gorilla suit
- Super Mario and Luigi
- Red Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls jersey, with a purple feather boa
- Ladybug wings/antenna
- Superman, Batman
- Police cop
- Scooby Doo
- Fred Flintstone
- Viking horns (plastic hats)
- Giant Mii head (Nintendo Wii)
Here are some notable vehicles (sorry I didn't list more, there were so many):
- Plastic Cooler
- Hog big wheel like a Harley Davidson
- Inflatable killer whale
- Plastic trash/recycle bins
Here's a Google Street View of the location where this video was taken.
Here are some photos from before the race.